Residential Unit Sales Down 2.6% from this time last year.
Edmonton, April 2, 2020: Total residential unit sales in the Edmonton Census Metropolitan Area (CMA) real estate market for March 2020 decreased 2.59% compared to March 2019 and increased 10.31% from February 2020. The number of new residential listings is down year over year, decreasing 14.01% from March 2019. New residential listings are up month over month, increasing 7.72% from February 2020. Overall inventory in the Edmonton CMA fell 12.66% from March of last year but increased 5.75% from February 2020.
For the month of March:
- All residential average prices are down to $343,951, a 3.78% decrease from March 2019, and down 1.97% from February 2020.
- Single family home unit sales are down 2.02% from March 2019 and up 13.59% from February 2020.
- Single family homes sold for an average of $404,344, a 4.64% year-over-year decrease from March 2019, and a 5.13% decrease from February 2020.
- Condo unit sales decreased 2.04% from March 2019 and increased 1.41% from February 2020.
- Condominiums sold for an average of $218,613, a 2.50% increase year-over-year, and prices are up 2.87% compared to February 2020.
- Duplex prices dropped 6.28% from March 2019, selling at $313,443, which was a 2.62% decrease from February 2020.
“The Edmonton market prices have declined in March and we saw a slight decrease in year-over-year unit sales,” says REALTORS® Association of Edmonton Chair Jennifer Lucas. “Of course, with the outbreak of a global pandemic and a hard hit to Alberta’s oil and gas sector, this type of market slowing is not surprising. There have been less sales of single family homes, condos and duplexes than in March of last year. Single family home pricing decreased 4.64%, duplexes are down 6.28%, and condos are up 2.50% year-over-year.”
- Single family homes averaged 54 days on the market, a six-day decrease from last year.
- Condos saw an eleven-day decrease at 66 days on the market
- Duplexes averaged 68 days on market, a three-day increase compared to March 2019.
Overall, all residential listings averaged 60 days on market, a 9.09% decrease year-over-year, and decreased by fourteen days compared to the previous month.